Walk 7 May 2017 Reloj de Sol





This week we had a walk from the Reloj de Sol, mistakenly renamed by me as the Puerta del Sol, so apologies to anyone who could not find it.
The Reloj is a big Sundial on top of the hill above the Alhambra. There were 23 of us this week for the walk when we met up at the clock. I had just finished counting everyone when I saw another 50 heading our way, I thought it was time to leave rapidly and in the haste to hide out of the way we took a wrong turning. I don’t think anyone noticed though as there were no complaints when we had to go back up the hillside.
 The walk starts by heading down into Jesús del Valle, it’s a wonderful path down in lush vegetation, whilst we were heading down I decided it would be nice to investigate a new side path that we came across. In the end it was not worth the effort as we had to climb back up to our original path, but hey, this is how we discover all our routes.
 The path continues alongside the Rio Darro to an old cortijo which must have been an impressive building at one time but is now abandoned and in ruins. It was hot down in the valley but I knew the perfect way to cool down. A river crossing, one where you have to take your boots off and wade across. The last time we had to make a wet crossing was in the middle of winter in a fast flowing melt water river. It was only when we arrived at the other side that Jan discovered a footbridge 20 metres down stream. This time there was no bridge to save us.  We stopped for lunch so everyone could stop and get their feet dry.   
The only problem with going down hill at the start of the walk is the climb back up later in the day. There were a couple of steep places but they were very short and we took it easy,  as we didn’t have to rush.
We arrived back at the carpark after a great walk amongst wild flowers and with wonderful views.

Now I don’t about anyone one else but I keep losing my walking gear, the strange thing is the following week I notice Cees wearing the exact same thing that I have lost. This week one of my walking sticks went missing and after making a few discreet enquiries I discovered Cees had acquired a new stick. I have promised him the full public humiliation of a strip search in the carpark after my next walk.   

Cees’s reply

I finally did it. Stuart got really mad at me and he was right. What I did yesterday during the walk was A Bridge Too Far. What happens. Nearly weekly I am a guest in Stuart's car driving up to one of those beautiful trips he always organizes.  And I do it again. Lately, I have, without really doing it on purpose, a nasty habit. At the end after the walk, coming home. I nearly always pinch something from him. Some examples; his beloved hat (which is the same kind as mine), a sweater (which does not even look like mine) and his sticks. Yesterday I did it again. I pinched another of his sticks.   Stuart, I realize it is a nasty habit, I will try to improve my performance on that kind of thing. Yesterday was A Bridge Too Far, when I pinched your stick again.
I offered to bring it back immediately, but he refused to accept it. So this is why I am making a public apology to him.
Stuart I am doing it now. I will really try to better my life and not pinch anything from you again. I cannot promise you I will not do it again because I am not doing it on purpose. But I promise I will do my best. And sorry for the reference to the bridge as well.

I did not sleep for worrying about it the whole night.

Cees

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk Sunday 2 December 2018 Sierra Manar

Walk Sunday 4 November 2018 Nerja

Walk 18 November 2018 Talara